Thursday 10 May 2007

Project Programming I

I want to expand my programming knowledge and experience. I do have some experience with programming, i started learning how to program in BASIC on my C64. Then in university i had to write in BASIC again for our first year exercises, including a takeoff simulator, then for the rest in Turbo Pascal. I didn't enjoy that very much, didn't like the language and in general was put off with programming for some time because of that. Then later on I got interested in programming again when i started building websites and getting into programming for the MUD i play. Quickly I had a rudimentary knowledge of PHP, and was proficient in html and css, and could work magic with VBScript. Good enough to start building some websites. After some projects, just to learn actually, I got some ideas and would like to start programming some applications, tools and off course websites which mostly involve services where I would greatly profit from knowledge of a more modern, used and user-friendly programming language. Visual Basic was getting too limited for my purposes and I decided I would have to decide on one language, for now, but make sure I not just learn how to program stuff I know already in a new language but also learn new applications and the new wonders of the modern programming languages. After mastering one I will apply my newfound knowledge to learn more languages, lets just focus on the first for now though.

I will consider several languages, I think it would be good to list these and note my reasons for liking and disliking a language. This will be my master list of languages, I think I will have to write a new post for some of these languages where I will list my research and findings per language. I will link these posts from here so I can easily find them again. My criteria at the moment are quite fluent, as I go along and find out more about them I will add to it. At the moment I will consider how easy to learn, how currently used in production environments, how relevant to my work atm, etc.

This is atm just a list of links to Wikipedia articles, but will be annotated and linked to articles of my own on these languages when I have read the documentation and reviews of languages.

I can also see a article on my criteria coming up...

//Z 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Currently in the same boat, although my circumstances are a bit different. My interest in learning a language sparked while designing websites for fun. I enjoyed the work so much that I've recently decided to get serious about doing it full time! In narrowing the languages down based on the web frameworks available, I'm leaning towards Php, Ruby (rails), Python (django), and Smalltalk (seaside). All these projects seem to have decent sized communities and resources surrounding them, which will ultimately help me decide which to learn. I will be delighted to hear your findings, and look forward to your next posting.

PinstripedZebra said...

Jim,

Very cool to see not even readers but a comment even, amazing!

I want to advance my coding in my spare time, at the moment I don't want to do this full time. I only need to look at my collegaes (the coding ones) how that can hollow out your fun in coding.

Just for fun for now at least.

Your comment has sparked me to do some more research soon into which language is most interesting to learn and will give me the nicest package to produce app and webapps.

//Z