Friday 25 January 2008

Uncluttering the house

Over the years I have collected an enormous amount of 'stuff' both in psysical and digital formats. I want to make an effort to remedy this situation and begin anew with a 'clean slate' but don't want to just trow everything out since some of the stuff might be usefull afterall.

The last months I have been collecting information about how to go about this in the most efficiently way possible and to have a system in place to not let this happen to me again. From what I read on the topic I have tried to make a list of what needs to be done for every room in the house. The one thing which will give me the most trouble but will be most effective for me will be to trow everything I have not used in a certain timeframe. Most resources put this timeframe at about half a year...I will most likely have enough to trow away when I put this at 2 years at first and make a second pass later while lowering this time.

Start one room at a time, take boxes per room with you labelled: Trash, Sell/Give away and one designated box per room where you can put everything which does not belong the room you are busy. Every item has to be considered and has to have a designated room and spot in that room. 

The first room I want to tackle is the spare/guest room we have. This should be the easiest room since most of the stuff which at the moment is in this room should not be there. We also use this room for doing laundry and I have the annoying habit of not emptying the dryer or emptying it on the bed without folding and storing the clothes. This I have to change anyway but it would also be nice to have a space to fold everything on since atm the bed or the floor is the only space to fold on.

So, the plan is to get every item from this room which does not belong there, put all leftover in boxes with a designation where it is supposed to be and to leave the room as bare as possible. Then I will build/find a table or desk where I can do folding and other clothesmanagement activities.

I will post my progress here and let you know when I will start on the next room, this will be much more of a challenge since this will be the evil lab which is completely cramped with stuff collected over the years.

//Z

No comments: