Monday 16 July 2007

Designing and making a modular alarmclock I

I have some cool ideas to wake me up in the morning. There should be a way to be able to wake up alone and not wake up my girl in the morning when she does not have to wake up as early as I. My idea for accomplishing this is a vibrating wristband wirelessly connected to the alarmclock. This would give me the option of waking up with music, with my vibrating wristband or a combination.

The wireless communication between the alarmclock and the wristband can be implimented a multitude of different ways. For example a RF link, Wifi or a bluetooth connection come to mind. The bluetooth seems like a very interesting option since all (new) phones come with bluetooth so the device would also be able to communicate with a phone.

The idea is to take a normal alarmclock to begin with and replace the switch of the (music)alarm with a wireless module so the alarm would trigger a little motor with a non-symmetrical contra-weight attached to the wristband. This will give you a vibrating wristband usable with a generic alarmclock. When I get this working I can expand the idea to include working from a mobile phone so you can just use your alarmclock on your phone to wake you up.

Sparkfun sells a bluetooth serial modem which is kinda pricey. They also sell a 2,4 Ghz tranceiver which costs a lot less but does not offer the easy integration with other services of the bluetooth solution.

I see in my head allready an Arduino with bluetooth connectivity which you use as an alarmclock, then a wristband with bluetoothreceiver and a phone to do the updating.

Interesting I think, let's see if I can come up with a design.

//Z

No comments: