Tuesday 29 May 2007

Programming for fun, how to choose a language II

 My quest is to find a programming language to continue my programming endeavors in, as you can read here I don’t have much experience programming up till now, but always had some interest! This search has already lasted a long time so I have already have some idea of what to look for in a programming language, a lot of ideas of what to code and ways of accomplishing these tasks in code.  
 
A list of some of my criteria: 

  • modern language
  • marketable
  • good books/documentation
  • good community
  • future proof
  • OO
I want to write web services as well as desktop programs. So GUI programming tools are a must. Also a IDE would be nice. Furthermore I want to be able to use API's in my programming, for example I would like to be able to do some desktop publishing to my blog, this will be one of my first projects to perform in the chosen language.

I have always said that programming is not a hard thing to learn, if you understand computers and how computers work and process data it looks to be easy to learn how to work a programming language. It seems to me that there are certain key programming processes which you can use in every language, just the syntax differs per language. So I am actually planning to learn more languages in one go and make a comparison between those while learning how to work with them. Lets see how far I get...

//Z

No comments: