Thursday 26 April 2007

Math Homework

I help my girl out with her statistics math work for her studies. Sometimes I do get the feeling I don't have a deep enough understanding of statistics to be able to answer any question which bothers her when she is reading a part of the book I haven't yet read.

I have an easy enough understanding of the underlying principle in a glance but then to explain something which comes rather naturally to me is very hard. Most of the times someone else sees this material in a totally different way then I see it. I skim it first to get a general overview of the subject. Then I see if I can fit it in the framework of math already in my head. If it 'fits' I will read on in the book, if not I will dive in a little deeper and read some synopsis part. If this does not clear things up more reading is required.

Then I read Steve Yegge's post about learning math for programmers and saw a kindred spirit. I also do this in a lot of other fields, not just math. Physics, programming, electronics and a lot of other interests will not give you enough time to do more then glance at the newest 'principle of design' and try to get the most out of the experience in the least amount of time.

This does make me wonder about methods of learning. But that is for a future post I think.

//Z

No comments: