Tuesday 24 April 2007

Bubble Chair!

http://www.sixdifferentways.com/gallery/

I want this chair, I am in love with it! I sat in it lately in a shop in Amsterdam and again it hit my fancy!

I am at the moment looking for a way to make a chair like this myself. I don't really
want to pay 5k euros for an original or something in the neighborhood of 2.5k to buy a remake of the original. This will also be a project to learn how to handle big molds, in the past the molds I have used have been a lot smaller, a challenge!

I see a couple of strategies to make this myself. It all involves fiberglass matting and epoxy so it will all be done outside. The first strategy is to make a positive mold of Styrofoam and cover the outside with fiberglass and resin.

Carve the mold away from the inside and you have a chair. Another way i see of how to make this is a big balloon (maybe a beach ball?), pump it up and cover with fiberglass. This seems to be an easier way to go then the Styrofoam mold. I just see a couple of problems on the way...

Looks like this will be another one of those multiple year projects, but i have plenty of those just waiting for a piece of the puzzle.

//Z

1 comment:

Divina said...

I can imagine you sitting and reading in that chair honey! Good luck with your project! And thank you for the favicon! It made my day today! MWAH!